Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Aug 3 09:07:09 EDT 2010

Robert Heller wrote:

>At Sun, 25 Jul 2010 01:54:26 +0530 Rahul <loveshore at live.com> wrote:
>

>>  how much is gnucash effective in real world business environment.
>>

>I use it for my business.  Does *everything* *I* need to do.  Since I am
>a 'real business', I would say it is quite effective in real world
>business environment.

I agree with this. Need to understand what the problems would be with
larger businesses.

    It doesn't include the OTHER SYSTEMS that a business would need for
record keeping that aren't actually "bookkeeping" but which have
accounting implications. In other words, things like "inventory", "point
of sales", etc. It has no provisions to receive "feeds" from these
systems so you would have to do that manually. The "accounting package"
is just one component in an overall "business system".

   I think the lack of ability to receive "feeds" is not YET a problem.
AFAIK there aren't yet open source "inventory", "point of sales", etc.
projects that are ready if they exist at any stage of development. If
and when such other components of a complete "business system" exist is
time enough to be concerned how they could interact with each other. The
complaints that GnuCash doesn't DO many of these other things
misunderstands that GnuCash is JUST the accounting component.

Michael D Novack