German translation

Frank H. Ellenberger f.ellenberger at online.de
Sat Aug 14 09:52:54 EDT 2010

Am Freitag, 13. August 2010 um 18:08:11 schrieb Geert Janssens:
> On Thursday 12 August 2010, jh wrote:
> > Except for a few headers, there seems to be no German translation for
> > version 2.3.14
> >
> > Before dashing into translating the whole guide, I would like to know:
> > 1. is anybody else currently working on a German translation? If yes, we
> > should make a plan how to divide this job.
>
> I don't think anybody is currently working on a German translation.
>
> > 2. What is the correct systematic GnuCash translater approach how to
> > coordinate such a job?
>
> I don't think there is a formal approach. I would suggest you start
> translating the parts you are interested in, and announce this on the
> gnucash- devel list. Additionally, it would be good to send regular status
> updates. All questions regarding translation can go there as well.
>
> > 3. I assume, that there have been multiple previous attempts to
> > translate earlier versions of the guide into German. How would I find
> > the most complete previous translation?
>
> I'm not sure if there have been many attempts. As far as I can trace, all
> translation efforts were recorded in svn. So whatever you find in the
> gnucash- docs module is likely all there is.

ch_overview.xml was translated in 2008. There were more anouncements, but no
commits.

> > 4. Is there a sample data base to generate all the screenshots?
>
> I thought so, but I can't find any reference to it, so likely I'm mistaken.
> There are some guidelines for screenshots here though:
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Concept_Guide#Updating_the_concept_guide

Unfortunely no. There are only a few examples pictures in guide/de_DE/figures
in the svn-repository.

> > 5. Is there a German forum to ask all these questions (and probable
> > more) in German?
>
> IMO these questions are generally asked on gnucash-devel, but that's an
> English mailing list. There are several German speaking devs subscribed to
> that list though that can give better feedback than I can.

Oops, I forgot it in my last posting: Usually everything specific german -
translations, account tepmlates, user questions, ... - is discussed on
gnucash-de, see https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-de.
So I will cc this mail to gnucash-de. It should be easier, to answer the
questions there.

The last thread about translating the guide ended with
https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-de/2008-September/006472.html