Phantom bill

Wouter van Marle wouter at squirrel-systems.com
Thu Aug 19 06:06:28 EDT 2010

Dear list,

I have a very irritating problem: a phantom bill.

The problem:

I'm using GnuCash for my small business, regularly posting invoices from
various customers. So far so good.

Today I was running a report on a vendor, checking the total balance.
I have a bunch of bills and payments listed (amounts removed for
privacy):

01/06/2010

Balance

18/06/2010
19/08/2010
148 06 010
Bill

26/06/2010
19/08/2010
170 07 010
Bill

07/07/2010

P10-062
Payment, thank
you

15/07/2010
19/08/2010
163 07 010
Bill

15/07/2010
19/08/2010
172 08 010
Bill

26/07/2010

P10-063
Payment, thank
you

04/08/2010

P10-062
Payment, thank
you

14/08/2010
19/08/2010
177 08 010
Bill

Now this bill 148 06 010 doesn't belong there. This was a pro-forma sent
to me by supplier, after loading the cargo I got the invoice (this is
163 07 010). So the 148 was unposted, amended, and reposted.

However bill 148 that is in this report, is not unposted properly. The
bill is gone from the "search bill" window, but the actual transaction
is in the books (which of course is wrong). Even stranger, when clicking
the Bill link in the report, it jumps to invoice 177. When clicking on
the Bill link of invoice 177 I also get invoice 177.

I tried unposting 177, changing it to a different vendor, posting it in
a different account: no change.

And I can't remove the transaction manually of course, because it's
linked to an invoice. Just that invoice isn't there any more.

I think this happened when I was replaying a series of logs (had some
problem, had to replay a dozen logs or so, got me quite some problems
with other invoices that were not posted or unposted, payments that were
not linked to the correct invoice account, etc, but those at least can
be removed manually).

Now the question is of course how can I get rid of that phantom bill?
And, primarily, it's linked transaction?

Wouter.