accounting period

John Dablin jdablin at ntlworld.com
Thu Aug 19 09:47:38 EDT 2010

On 19/08/10 12:54, Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz wrote:

> Whoever came up with 6th April?

It's something like this... Until about the 18th century the calendar
year was often deemed to start on Lady Day, 25th March (this can cause
confusion for historians, which year did someone mean when they wrote a
date between January and March?). When Britain changed from the Julian
to the Gregorian calendar in 17-something we "lost" 11 days, so the
anniversary of March 25th that year became April 5th. I think some other
complication involving leap years meant that it later became April 6th.

Like bureaucrats everywhere, the Revenue were having none of this
new-fangled nonsense and stuck to the original dates, even if they do
have to call it 6th April when talking to the rest of us!

John Dablin