accounting period

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Thu Aug 19 12:14:39 EDT 2010

John Dablin wrote:
> On 19/08/10 12:54, Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz wrote:
>> Whoever came up with 6th April?
>>

> It's something like this... Until about the 18th century the calendar
> year was often deemed to start on Lady Day, 25th March (this can cause
> confusion for historians, which year did someone mean when they wrote a
> date between January and March?). When Britain changed from the Julian
> to the Gregorian calendar in 17-something we "lost" 11 days, so the
> anniversary of March 25th that year became April 5th. I think some other
> complication involving leap years meant that it later became April 6th.

There is a riddle (I guess it is) based on this.

Twins were born in the United States around midnight. Yet one is 10 days
older. How do you account for this?

It was around 1752, when 10 days were skipped. If that change took place
at midnight (I am hazy about this), one was born just before and one
just after the calendar change.

 ^^-^^ 12:00:01 up 8 days, 15:19, 3 users, load average: 5.42, 5.11, 4.98