Phantom bill

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Aug 19 22:05:22 EDT 2010

On Thu, August 19, 2010 9:46 pm, Wouter van Marle wrote:

>> > Now the question is of course how can I get rid of that phantom bill?
>> > And, primarily, it's linked transaction?
>>
>> You cannot replay the logs of business transactions.  It will completely
>> destroy your data file.
>
> Great that the "replay log" function is so forthcoming with that
> information.... I call this a very serious bug.

It most certainly is forthcoming.  It's been in the documentation since
docs version 1.8!  Quoting from there:

Note

Warning: Changes to the scheduled transactions, invoices of bills
themselves are NOT recovered, and their transactions that were recovered
may not be properly associated with them, and should thus be
double-checked. Especially for business transactions, you may have to
delete and re-create some of them. If you do not, although the balance
will be correct, some reports may not.

You may consider it a bug, but the Log Replay is, frankly, a hack.  It
doesn't handle changes to accounts either!  The ONLY thing it replays are
transactions.  That's all it's ever tried to do...

I'm sorry you were bitten by an issue that's been known about and clearly
documented for 8 years.  The fix will be a switch to SQL because then
logfiles are obsolete.