Problem processing a payment

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Aug 21 16:10:41 EDT 2010

Hi,

mkbr1 <cabernet4 at gmail.com> writes:

> Gnucash 2.2.9
>
> Greetings all.
>
> While reconciling my bank account I came across the following.
>
> The bank statement shows a payment of $xx. I find the invoice in my Gnucash
> Data File, but no payment is recorded. I proceed to record the payment. I
> search for the invoice with Ctr - F, then searching on value $xx, I am able
> to bring up the invoice. Selecting the option to view the invoice, I can see
> yes this the one. When selecting "process payment" I get the payment
> information window showing all details - but not the $xx figure. It is about
> half the amount.
>
> When I search for the invoice it shows one figure while this shows another.
> Could this be something to do with a setting that splits a payment ? When I
> go ahead and process this payment and look at the transaction in its
> respective account it shows the correct total and two figures - one below
> the other, that make up the total $xx
>
> Any ideas on what may be happening here ?

This happens due to a 'pre-payment' or 'over payment'.  For example, if
you have an two invoices for $50 and then process a payment for $75 it
will apply $50 to the first invoice, and then $25 to the second invoice.

There is an open bug where this kind of split can happen when it
shouldn't.  Reproducing it is hard (at least for me).