Mac OS/X snow leopard finance-quote problem with make

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Aug 29 01:35:55 EDT 2010

On Aug 28, 2010, at 7:37 PM, sdrach wrote:

> OS/X 10.6.4 Snow Leopard
> Gnucash 2.2.9 installed from downloadable dmg image
>
> I installed this a while back, then followed instructions to install
> finance-quote and everything worked smoothly.
>
> Then my hard drive failed, so I installed a new one and restored (actually
> migrated) from Time Machine.  Now Gnucash doesn't see finance-quote.  So I
> check it
>
> ------
> $ /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnc-fq-check
>
> You need to install the following Perl modules:
>  Finance::Quote
>  HTML::TableExtract
>  Crypt::SSLeay
>  Date::Manip
>
> Use your system's package manager to install them,
> or run 'gnc-fq-update' as root.
> missing-lib
> --------
>
> Fine, so I run gnc-fq-update and get the following.  Sorry, it's a bit long.
> The bottom line is it doesn't like (NOT OK) the make it finds.  Can anyone
> give me a clue on how to proceed.  I'm tired of banging my head against
> wall.
>
> $ /usr/bin/make -v
> GNU Make 3.81
> Copyright (C) 2006  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> This program built for i386-apple-darwin10.0
>

> --------
> x Finance-Quote-1.17/Documentation/License
> x Finance-Quote-1.17/Documentation/README
> Warning (usually harmless): 'YAML' not installed, will not store persistent
> state
>
>  CPAN.pm: Going to build E/EC/ECOCODE/Finance-Quote-1.17.tar.gz
>
> Checking if your kit is complete...
> Looks good
> Writing Makefile for Finance::Quote
> Could not read
> '/Users/drach/.cpan/build/Finance-Quote-1.17-CA3sG9/META.yml'. Falling back
> to other methods to determine prerequisites

No, there's nothing wrong with make. The problem is that a perl header file is missing (/System/Library/Perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/config.h) or has bad permissions (use ls -l to find out which). According to this Ars article http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=43282, you need to re-run your XCode install and select "UNIX Dev support".

That's a bit of a problem, obviously, as not all users (perhaps including you) are going to have XCode installed at all, never mind know to include UNIX support. Unfortunately, each version of OSX uses a different version of Perl, so including the F::Q modules in the bundle isn't really practical either.

Regards,
John Ralls