close books

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Wed Dec 1 08:57:06 EST 2010

Did you close income and expenses to the same account or different accounts?  If
the same account, the income and expense will offset.  If different accounts,
what I would do is structure my accounts:

Equity
    Retained Earnings
        Income
        Expense

Retained Earnings is the term used for businesses.  I'm not sure if there's a
better term for home use.  Having separate Income and Expense accounts allows
you to see total income or expenses for an extended period, but at the Retained
Earnings level (e.g. in a report), it will show the difference.

 Phil
---------
I used to be a hypochondriac AND a kleptomaniac. So I took something for it.