Gnucash + postgres.

Klaus Dahlke klaus.dahlke at gmx.de
Thu Dec 2 14:36:47 EST 2010

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 12:37:53 -0500
"Derek Atkins" <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, December 2, 2010 12:14 pm, ALbert Gráfica - Suporte wrote:
> > Hi to everyone.
> >
> > I'm trying use gnucash + postgres but, got a little big problem.
> >
> > We can conect to the postgres db
> >
> > so we import a qif file into the db.
> >
> > Almost 58000 trasaction.
> >
> > when we try to open this account.
> >
> > It better take a coffe in other country, because its realy slow. But
> > realy realy slow, when it open, sometime freeze the computer.
> >
> > Just to tell: dell vosto 3500 core i5 4gb ram.
> >
> > Just to tell:
> >
> > gnucash 2.2.9
> > gnucash 2.3.5
> >
> > windows or linux.
> >
> > Some help?
>
> I'm sure you know this, but:
>
> a) 2.2.x does not support Postgres (or any other DB, for that matter)
> b) 2.3.x is still in testing, although it's getting close to the 2.4.0
>    release
> c) 2.3.5 is OLD and you should definitely upgrade to the most recent
>    2.3.x release, 2.3.17..  HOWEVER, there is no upgrade path for
>    the SQL from 2.3.5 to 2.3.17, so you will either have to save your
>    file as XML first, or you'll have to start over with 2.3.17.
>
> As for the slowness...  I don't know if 2.3.17 will help.  GnuCash always
> reads all the data into RAM when it starts.  How slow are we talking about
> here?  30s?  60s?  20m?

Hi,
currently I use 2.3.15 with postgresql backend on an amd64 linux, 4GB Ram, data reside on an IDE hard drive. IIRC I saw some performance improvements during one of the upgrades. At one point in time, the tables got an index. To my opinion it is worth trying to use 2.3.17.

 I have

gnucash=# select count(*) from transactions;
 count
-------
 11454

rows in the transaction table (phppgadmin reports ~25MB) . Loading the data takes ~10 seconds.

Cheers,
Klaus