Overpayment of invoices (not as an advance on future invoices)

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Fri Dec 10 15:43:14 EST 2010

On Friday 10 December 2010 17:28:31 Robert Heller wrote:
> What is the best way to deal with the case where a customer pays an
> extra amount over the invoice, not as an advance payment for a future
> invoice but as a kind of gratuity?  If I do a process payment of the
> amount of the payment, gnucash will create a credit that will be
> applied to the next invoice -- I don't want to do this, since this is
> not the customer's intent of the extra payment.  I would *like* to have
> one transaction/split, rather than do a process payment for the amount
> of the invoice and then entering a *separate* transaction for the excess
> (as raw, non-invoiced, income).

Hi Robert,

I suggest the following, (I think I have done similar in the past)
1. process payment in the usual way for the _invoice_ total.
2. go to checking (or wherever) and manually add a split to that txn for
the "overpayment" I guess to something like income:gifts (ISTR that you can't
do this step in the A/R account)
3. Adjust the split which affects the checking account to be the total
actually paid.

Hope that makes sense and helps!
Maf.