OFX skipping transactions

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 11 21:59:06 EST 2010

You have malformed OFX files. In your .ofx files, you have many transactions with blank <FITID> fields. Those are guaranteed to be a problem.

The OFX spec requires that each transaction contain a unique <FITID>. (Unique forever for a given account, not unique in the universe of all accounts at all institutions.)

One of the blank ID transactions from the first import takes possession of the blank ID as the unique value in GnuCash's database. Any subsequent import containing blank <FITID>'s will be analyzed as containing duplicate transactions based on the blank ID as the unique ID (you have one blank ID transaction, you shouldn't ever need to import another with the same ID...).

The fact that gnucash can import the first month correctly with numerous blank ID's suggests there's an initialization issue. Or else, gnucash is assuming that no bank sends duplicates in a single download, and doesn't start checking against the current file's IDs until after the batch is complete.

Dave