Automatic Retrieval of Quotes

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 13 19:04:20 EST 2010

Dean--

Assuming you are using Gnucash 2.2.9 from the Mac OS X disk image file on Sourceforge (see http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/gnucash%20%28stable%29/2.2.9/), then I think you're making this hard on yourself.

You can set up Gnucash to download price quotes from within the application itself. This involves a few steps:

1) Create the securities in question (under Tools menu, or from the New Account window when you choose to create a stock type account; see http://code.gnucash.org/docs/guide/invest-setup1.html for more info). Be sure to check the Get Online Quotes option in the New Security window.

2) Open the price editor window (under Tools menu), and then click the Get quotes button. If all goes well, the hourglass/beachball will appear and then disappear, and expanding your commdity list should result in your seeing a price for today's date (or the last trade date).

As an aside, I'll note that there are ways to run the price update from a Terminal window, making it possible to have these updates run every day, automatically. Some of us have even asked whether this could be an added feature for the start up of Gnucash.

HTH,
David