Tracking Money in Savings Account

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 15 10:09:24 EST 2010

Wayne Bird <wrbird at hotmail.com> writes:

> Thanks so much for your help!  I will continue to play around, and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.
>
> Though I used the envelope system in the past, it seems that's not the
> standard accounting method.  I tweaked MSMoney for years in order to
> make it "act" like an envelope system and I don't want to tweak
> GnuCash to do this, I'd rather just learn how GnuCash is designed to
> be used and use it accordingly.

Define "standard accounting method"?  It's certainly one way that many
people do it.  GnuCash doesn't need to be tweaked to do this.  In fact
it's somewhat designed to support this!  See, for example, the "Open
Subaccounts" option on the reconcile dialog.  This lets you reconcile
a Bank Account with subaccounts.

You can also look at the Budget features of GnuCash, but I've never used
them myself so I cannot comment on them.