Tracking Money in Savings Account

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Dec 16 09:26:30 EST 2010

Wayne Bird <wrbird at hotmail.com> writes:

>> (2) Your account structure looks like it's (way?) too complicated. You
>> need an account for checking and one for savings (Assets:Current:Checking
>> and Assets:Current:Savings). You need Expenses:Healthcare:Dental. You need
>> Liabilities:Dentist. You need something like Income:Inheritance. I think
>> that's it, for this transaction.
>
> This is where I'm getting really confused.  I thought I was following the
> subaccount structure that Derek talked about and I confirmed in a previous
> e-mail:

You only need to follow the subaccount structure *IF YOU ARE TRYING TO
BUDGET FOR FUTURE EXPENSES*.  For example, if you're trying to budget
for a TV, saving $50 each month to build up the $2000 for that TV, that
would be when you'd want a Savings (or Checking) Subaccount.

However in this case the subaccounts don't make sense.  You're just
using them as passthrough accounts, not as budgeting envelopes.