Tracking Money in Savings Account

Wayne Bird wrbird at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 16 12:35:43 EST 2010

Derek,

> You only need to follow the subaccount structure *IF YOU ARE TRYING TO
> BUDGET FOR FUTURE EXPENSES*.  For example, if you're trying to budget
> for a TV, saving $50 each month to build up the $2000 for that TV, that
> would be when you'd want a Savings (or Checking) Subaccount.
>
> However in this case the subaccounts don't make sense.  You're just
> using them as passthrough accounts, not as budgeting envelopes.

I'm beginning to understand a little bit more.  I'm really mixed up between putting everything in envelopes (subaccounts) or nothing at all.  So I understand what you mean by budgeting for future expenses, but isn't everything really being budgeted for future expenses -- gasoline, groceries, utilities, bi-annual insurance premiums, etc.?  Maybe, instead of subaccounts, I should use the budgeting feature of GnuCash?

Please don't give up on me!

Wayne