Tracking Money in Savings Account

Wayne Bird wrbird at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 17 16:44:46 EST 2010

Derek,

Thanks for the response.  I'm definitely beginning to understand a lot better about the difference in philosophy of standard accounting and the envelope system -- it's definitely philosophical.  Now I know why I've had such a hard time trying to wrap my mind around the standard system.  My entire life I've always viewed my checking account as money that's "already spent" for specific items.  My mind has always categorized my bank balances.  The "standard" practice is a lump of unspent money waiting to be used.  Now of course a budget will help guide this lump of unspent money.  As Michael stated, "Bookkeeping is about ACTUAL transactions, not transactions that
might or might not occur. For projected transactions (planning) we use a
 budget."

> Then again, I don't use GnuCash's Online/Import features, either.

This is an absolute necessity for me!  I won't even consider hand-entering all my transactions -- way too many!

Thanks so much for your input, it's been invaluable.

Wayne