Tracking Money in Savings Account

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Dec 17 16:08:00 EST 2010

Wayne Bird <wrbird at hotmail.com> writes:

> Derek,
>
> So, since you don't use the budget feature, are you using GnuCash to just
> track your finances, i.e., just to know where you money goes?

Pretty much, yes.

> Would you use subaccounts for yearly expenses, i.e., tax payments, insurance
> payments, and allocate some of your weekly paycheck into those subaccounts, so
> when the time comes you know you have enough to pay?

Well, indirectly I do.  For example, I have an escrow account with my
mortgage to collect for insurance and tax payments.  So effectively,
yes, I do.  Do I use subaccounts for ALL my purchases?  No, not really.

Then again, I don't use GnuCash's Online/Import features, either.

> Wayne

-derek