Guidance on a Year-To-Year Comparison Report

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 19:06:50 EST 2010

Hi David,

On 2010-12-15, at 22:56, David T. wrote:

> I am interested in having a two column report that would compare amounts for two comparable periods of time. This would allow me to compare my spending in those accounts over two comparable time periods. The report would allow you to select the accounts to compare, and specify established time periods for the two columns (for example, Year-to-Year, Consecutive Quarters, First Quarter, etc.). Additionally, it might allow specification of the starting year (e.g., entering 2008 would establish a report for 2008-2009).

See https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2010-October/036609.html

Also, in Step 2, in the report options General tab, you can set the ‘Step Size’ to ‘Month’ and set the ‘Start Date’ and ‘End Date’ to the start and end of whatever months you’re comparing.

If you follow the above, you’ll get a tabular layout with time periods for rows and accounts (i.e. expense categories) for columns.

I keep this customised report open (showing my expenses by month throughout the year) all the time in GC.

HTH,

Yawar