how can I run longitudinal reports? i.e. accounts v time

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 22:57:32 EDT 2010

Hi,

On 2010-10-14, at 20:55, Ed Love wrote:

> I'm looking to run reports that track various accounts over time. e.g.
> income, various expenses, and mainly: net worth. I've had a look through the
> doco, and can't see how to do that.
>
> Sure, I can run various reports & change the dates, but I want to run a
> SINGLE report every so often on particular accounts that tracks the
> variation over months and/or years.
>
> That would be VERY helpful to show me trends in various accounts,
> especially, again, net worth.
>
> Can anyone point me at what to do?

Here is what I do for income/expenses:

1. Click Reports > Income & Expense > Expense Barchart

2. Click Options and set the report name and dates in the General tab

3. Click the Display tab, and check the ‘Show table’ check box. Optionally, set the plot width and height to make the bar chart really small if you want to focus on just the table

4. Click the Accounts tab to select the income and expense accounts you want

For a net worth table, you’ll have to do much the same thing with the Reports > Assets & Liabilities > Net Worth Barchart report. The two reports will be shown separately. If you want to see them both on a single report, try out the Reports > Sample & Custom > Custom Multicolumn Report. In that report, click Options, click the Contents tab, and then select the two previously mentioned reports. You will be able to customise each one separately from within the report page itself.

Hope this helps,

Yawar