Tracking Money in Savings Account

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sun Dec 19 09:08:45 EST 2010

On Sun, December 19, 2010 12:07 am, Daniel Trezub wrote:
> I need it/use it as personal finance manager.
>
> BUT, as I see in the splash screen every time I start GC, it's a "Free
> Accountant Software". And by what I've seen here in the list, I tend to
> think the developers see it as an accountant software, too.

Actually, it says "Free AccountING Software" (emphasis mine).

GnuCash is NOT a finance manager.  Then again, neither was Quicken, and
I'm pretty sure MS Money isn't, either.

I cannot answer for anyone else, but I still agree with what it says in
the splash screen; GnuCash is Accounting Software.  You can fit accounting
software into lots of holes, but in the end it requires the end user to
know how to twist the peg.

GnuCash is not all things to all users, and frankly I don't expect it to
be all things to all users.

I realize this is the user list and not the devel list, but I'll repeat
again here:  if you think something is missing you are encouraged to do
something about it.  If you don't know how to program at all then you're
welcome to test, report bugs, and write up functional specifications for
missing features. If it's a report that's missing, then draw up an example
of how the report should look and write up a document for how the report
should work.  If you're talking about other features, run the glade
application to design UIs and show how users would enter in the new data.
If you DO know how to program (even if you don't know C or Scheme, well,
you should learn them!) you're welcome to send it patches to fix issues
that you have.

The onus is on YOU, the community at large, to make GnuCash better and fit
your needs.  Anyone can become a "developer".  There is not some magic
pixie dust that makes those of us who commit code to subversion any
smarter than those of you who run the program.

I know that when new blood comes asking "what can I do", it's much easier
to point them to a fully thought out feature request than a bug report "it
doesn't work".  Granted, just doing all that work doesn't mean the feature
will be in the next release; the developers are extremely time-constrained
as it is and we have WAY too many open bugs and feature requests as-is.
So it's a question of time, value, desire, and itch.

What's your itch?  And how can you scratch it?  (productively)