handling of "class" (tag) code in quicken QIF file.

Tom Dunn tomdunn at knology.net
Sat Dec 18 22:43:29 EST 2010

I am converting from Quicken to gnucash and am importing my data in
individual account QIF files.   It is working fine but I have a question
regarding the class (tag) code that is used in quicken.   It appears to
be ignored during import.   I am assuming that I must manually separate
the classes within my Quicken account into separate gnucash accounts -
one for each class code.   Is there is some automated way of separating
the transactions in one quicken account into multiple gnucash accounts
according to the class code associated with each transaction?

I don't have a problem with doing it manually, but wanted to ask the
question to be sure I have not overlooked something.

I have been using Quicken for many years and I have tolerated and fought
it during that time.   A few months ago I started converting from
Windows to Linux and recently found gnucash.   So far it is a great
program and I am looking forward to working with it.

thanks,
tom dunn