Quick database question

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 24 03:12:07 EST 2010

On 23 December 2010 22:36, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:
> On Thu, December 23, 2010 4:14 pm, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 23 December 2010 18:49, Phil Longstaff <plongstaff at rogers.com> wrote:
>>> No, there is no backup.  If using sqlite3, the database is in a file
>>> and you
>>> need to manually backup.  If using mysql or pgsql, it is assumed you
>>> will use
>>> the database tools to periodically backup.
>>>
>>> It wouldn't hurt to provide a mechanism for automatically backing up the
>>> sqlite3
>>> file periodically.
>>
>> A long time ago I suggested a File > Save Backup action which would
>> save an xml format file without having to do Save As (xml) and then
>> re-open the sql version.  It did not meet with favour at the time
>> however.  :(
>
> I disagree; ISTR it met with plenty of favor, just nobody willing to
> implement it.  Patches are still welcome.

Looking back at the thread
(https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2009-August/030899.html)
I see that you (Derek) did agree with the suggestion, but several
others thought that a user using mysql should know how to use mysql
dump and those using sqlite just had to make a backup copy of the
database file.

As for generating a patch, unfortunately I do not currently have the
knowledge to easily go into that area of the code and make a change.
Technically I could do it but I guess it might take me a day to work
out how it all fits together.  I guess that someone who knows this
area of the code would find it very simple to implement.  I certainly
would not want to spend a day doing it unless I was sure it would be
accepted.  I would gladly do some testing if someone implemented it.

Colin