Unable to install 2.4.0

Dr. Md. Aminul Islam Khan aikhan_lab at bdcom.net
Mon Dec 27 03:17:01 EST 2010

Hi,

Congratulations to you all for the new version 2.4.0.

I was using 2.2.9 and later 2.3.17. Meantime upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04
(from 9.04). Googled for help, whatever I could understand tried to use
it to install 2.4.0. and messed up: At one point I did:
apt-get purge guile, apt-get purge slib, apt-get installed them, then
symlinked: ln -s /usr/share/slib slib and lastly ldconfig.
Then going for ./configure .... Now the message I get is:
configure: error:
  guile does not appear to be installed correctly, or is not in the
  correct version range.  Perhaps you have not installed the guile
  development packages?  Gnucash requires at least version 1.6.7 to
build.
So tried:
find / -name guile which gives the followings:
/var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/guile
/home/aikhan/gnucash-2.2.9/src/bin/overrides/guile
/usr/bin/guile
/usr/share/guile
/usr/share/swig1.3/guile
/usr/local/libexec/gnucash/overrides/guile
/etc/alternatives/guile
/export/home/gnucash-2.2.9/src/bin/overrides/guile

Can any good soul out there help me out?
Thanks in advance for your help.

aikhan