Quick database question

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Mon Dec 27 13:19:21 EST 2010

John Ralls wrote:
[snip]

> Unfortunately your approach assumes that the postgres/mysql server is
> running on the same machine as Gnucash and that the Gnucash user has
> privileges to run the dump routine. Neither is valid.
>
> Postgres and MySql are sophisticated tools and require sophisticated
> administration. I doubt that many DBAs would take kindly to Gnucash
> mucking around with their backup strategy, and it's appropriate to
> assume that anyone who takes the trouble to run a Postgres or MySql
> server has a backup strategy in place. Neither is really appropriate
> for users who need a backup menu item.
>
> Regards, John Ralls

I happen to run postgres on my machine that is a desktop workstation. My
needs are not especially sophisticated.

My backup needs are not all that sophisticated either. Every day, very
early in the morning when I am usually asleep, I have my computer start
a cron job that backs up everything except the four hard drives where my
database is stored. I do a backup of the database separately when I need
to. I could, in theory, do it all at once, but in that case, all the
data will not fit on the magnetic tape I use for backup, and I do not
want to wake up in the morning to change tapes.

When Red Hat Enterprise Linux moves up to a version of GnuCash that runs
SQL, I will probably upgrade to use postgres. I will probably skip RHEL
6, and by RHEL 7 I am sure it will be in there.

 ^^-^^ 13:05:01 up 26 days, 2:51, 3 users, load average: 5.09, 4.99, 4.92