Unable to install 2.4.0

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 13:20:46 EST 2010

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 2:34 AM, Dr. Md. Aminul Islam Khan
<aikhan_lab at bdcom.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-12-27 at 15:42 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> "Dr. Md. Aminul Islam Khan" <aikhan_lab at bdcom.net> writes:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Congratulations to you all for the new version 2.4.0.
>> >
>> > I was using 2.2.9 and later 2.3.17. Meantime upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04
>> > (from 9.04). Googled for help, whatever I could understand tried to use
>> > it to install 2.4.0. and messed up: At one point I did:
>> > apt-get purge guile, apt-get purge slib, apt-get installed them, then
>> > symlinked: ln -s /usr/share/slib slib and lastly ldconfig.
>> > Then going for ./configure .... Now the message I get is:
>> > configure: error:
>> >   guile does not appear to be installed correctly, or is not in the
>> >   correct version range.  Perhaps you have not installed the guile
>> >   development packages?  Gnucash requires at least version 1.6.7 to
>> > build.
>> > So tried:
>> > find / -name guile which gives the followings:
>> > /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/guile
>> > /home/aikhan/gnucash-2.2.9/src/bin/overrides/guile
>> > /usr/bin/guile
>> > /usr/share/guile
>> > /usr/share/swig1.3/guile
>> > /usr/local/libexec/gnucash/overrides/guile
>> > /etc/alternatives/guile
>> > /export/home/gnucash-2.2.9/src/bin/overrides/guile
>> >
>> > Can any good soul out there help me out?
>> > Thanks in advance for your help.
>>
>> apt-get build-dep gnucash
>>
> Sorry to bother you. However, what I get from build-dep, is this:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
>  libgsf-gnome-1-dev
> 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> 2 not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0B/73.8kB of archives.
> After this operation, 164kB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
> Selecting previously deselected package libgsf-gnome-1-dev.
> (Reading database ... 251188 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking libgsf-gnome-1-dev
> (from .../libgsf-gnome-1-dev_1.14.16-1ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
> Setting up slib (3b1-3ubuntu1) ...
> Ignoring install-info called from maintainer script
> The package slib should be rebuilt with new debhelper to get trigger
> support
> ERROR: In procedure primitive-load-path:
> ERROR: Unable to find file "ice-9/boot-9.scm" in load path
> dpkg: error processing slib (--configure):
>  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit
> status 2
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of guile-1.6-slib:
>  guile-1.6-slib depends on slib (>= 3a2-3); however:
>  Package slib is not configured yet.
> dpkg: error processing guile-1.6-slib (--configure):
>  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> Setting up libgsf-gnome-1-dev (1.14.16-1ubuntu1) ...
> No apport report written because the error message indicates its a
> [...]

There are packages that build-dep doesn't catch -- look carefully at
the additional packages to install in the wiki instructions:

 http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building#Ubuntu_10.04_LTS_.28Lucid_Lynx.29

If you are not interested in the database backend you can leave out
the libdbd-{sqlite3,pgsql,mysql} package. (If you DO want to use the
database, the curly braces indicate you choose one of the options,
depending on which database backend you want to use.)

Also note you need to create a softlink to slib. I don't remember the
missing softlink causing an error in the package manager, however. If
it's true, then it's a bug that needs to be reported against the
package.

If you continue to have trouble with apt complaining about errors, be
sure to check to be sure you don't have an odd repository  -- the
Software Sources tool should only show Lucid repositories, and you can
corroborate it by looking in /etc/apt/sources.list