ubuntu 10.04, build-dep gnucash error

Kenyon Ralph kenyon at kenyonralph.com
Thu Dec 30 01:00:29 EST 2010

On 2010-12-30T16:07:33+1100, Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 13:00:46 -0800
> Kenyon Ralph <kenyon at kenyonralph.com> wrote:
>
> > > I'm not sure when a person should run aptitude instead of apt-get,
> > > but perhaps the wiki should be updated.
> >
> > Aptitude is always preferred over apt-get.
>
> Each style of application has its own benefits.
>
> Apt-get is the real cli application
> It needs tweaking in config files at times.
>
> Aptitude is a ncurses style application. Graphics from before window
> managers.
>
> GUI applications like synaptic and kpackage are for mouse enthusiasts.

That's not quite right. They aren't just different "styles" of
applications. I'm not sure what "real" means in this context.

From the manual pages:

apt-get(8):
   apt-get is the command-line tool for handling packages, and may be
   considered the user's "back-end" to other tools using the APT
   library. Several "front-end" interfaces exist, such as dselect(1),
   aptitude(8), synaptic(8) and wajig(1).

aptitude(8):
   aptitude - high-level interface to the package manager

You should always use the highest-level interface possible. apt-get
lacks the more sophisticated conflict and dependency resolution
capabilities that higher-level interfaces have, as the original poster
found out.

On the command line, aptitude can be used nearly identically to how
you would use apt-get. I think apt-get can do a few low-level things
that aptitude can't, but I haven't used it in years. aptitude is far
more useful and featureful, especially its ncurses interface.

Configuration files affecting apt-get generally affect all APT package
managers in the same way.

Anyway, slightly off-topic for this mailing list, but it looks like a
lot of people here use Debian-based Linux distributions.

--
Kenyon Ralph