Gnucash 2.4.0 (Windows)

Mortimer mortimer.hobart at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 21:07:26 EST 2010

On 12/30/2010 18:25, Cam Ellison wrote:
> That's rather over the top.
>
> Your machine's internal address is 127.0.0.1.  That's a reserved
> address that cannot be used anywhere else.  I think you'll find that
> some applications and routines native to Windows actually make use of
> it - were I you, I would not be blocking access to that address: you
> are likely to screw something else up by doing so.  The many processes
> in the OS and applications need to be able to talk to each other, and
> that address is one of them.

gnucash is the first program that has triggered any of my firewalls by
asking to connect to 127.0.0.1, I have had one other program that
requested to change LOCALHOST, not 127.0.0.1, so before now I had no
idea that they were one and the same.

All I knew is that a program that had never requested permission to use
the internet was all of a sudden calling to a (presumed) remote IP,
tried to block it and the program failed to run.

> Asking questions is a good thing.

Yes it is. Esp when you can get a straight answer w/o snide remarks. now
that I know it's LOCALhost I can allow it more permanently.