Gnucash 2.4.0 (Windows)

Cam Ellison cam at ellisonet.ca
Thu Dec 30 20:25:31 EST 2010

On 10-12-30 04:54 PM, Mortimer wrote:
> On 12/30/2010 17:25, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Have you checked whether it's actually trying to get out onto the Internet
>> or just accessing the local host via 127.0.0.1?
>>
> As I asked in a different message, what difference does it make?
>
> 1. 127.0.0.1 is not my "address"
> 2. It should not be "calling" 127.0.0.1 or anywhere else w/o the users
> permission
> 3. I do not know 127.0.0.1, I do not know what information is being
> passed to/from that address, I wish to block ALL traffic between gnucash
> and 127.0.0.1. Doing so makes gnucash 2.4.0 worthless

That's rather over the top.

Your machine's internal address is 127.0.0.1.  That's a reserved address
that cannot be used anywhere else.  I think you'll find that some
applications and routines native to Windows actually make use of it -
were I you, I would not be blocking access to that address: you are
likely to screw something else up by doing so.  The many processes in
the OS and applications need to be able to talk to each other, and that
address is one of them.

Asking questions is a good thing.

Cheers

Cam