personal and business

Shane Litherland litherland-farm at bigpond.com
Fri Dec 31 04:16:46 EST 2010

For all, a footnote -

As I mentioned in my initial suggestions, I document some personal
expenses in my gnucash business accounts - essentially, like others
since have elaborated on, by having a logical set of books for business,
and a much-abbreviated set for private, within the one gnucash file. I
don't bother keeping account of any private accounts other than those I
have to pull out of my business expenses - I can follow my basic private
expenses well enough from my bank statement otherwise :-) So, I hadn't
elaborated on the 'keep private separate' issue because its almost a
moot point for me,
Thanks to others for clarifying this aspect for Dave and others
reading/following,

And I concur on the potential difficulty regarding setting up 'two'
trees of accounts in one gnucash file - I spent quite some time using
and learning gnucash before i refined something that suited me (and
suited the tax agent).

but also as some others' commented, if you can get your head around
'two' accounts in one file, then it would lessen the duplication of data
between two separate files, and be a bit easier to follow account
balances/reports/reconciles across both private and business.

So, on that note, cheers to the end of 2010 and catch you all in 2011!
-shane