New account - how to arrange opening balance

James Wilde james.wilde at sunde-wilde.com
Tue Feb 2 15:44:20 EST 2010

On Feb 2, 2010, at 21:19 , James Wilde wrote:

> When one sets up a chart of accounts, if one chooses one of the defaults - and I assume one must choose one of them - one can assign an opening balance to all accounts on the list, except placeholders, of course.  But a pre-designed chart of accounts is never exactly as one would like it to be, and new accounts are almost always necessary.  For example, I needed to enter a tax debt for a capital gain, and a debtor account for someone to whom I lent money.  But when I create these accounts later I am unable to assign them an opening balance, and, as I say, I cannot see that there is any way to add an account or two at the create chart of accounts stage.  So how does one do?

I'm very sorry everyone.  I'm not paying attention.  When I created the extra accounts I needed I looked everywhere for a field for opening balance.  What I didn't see was that there is a tab on the New Account window with just that name, Opening Balance, and that, of course, is the way to do it.

//J