PRINTING THE REGISTER!!!

Jeff Kletsky gnucash at allycomm.com
Wed Feb 3 19:30:20 EST 2010

No worries!

Think of it positively, that $10 has introduced you to a very good
product you may not have come across otherwise. Now you know how you can
get updates in the future without going to eBay! Do you have Version
2.2.9? If not, you might want to download that as the latest "release"
version.

The Wiki at http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GnuCash is one good starting
point, as well as some of the suggestions you have gotten on the mailing
list.

For me, I use the "reconcile" function to compare the transactions in my
account register with those on my printed bank statement. I find that a
lot easier than trying to compare two printouts as the reconcile window
shows the totals and when the difference is "0.00" (in my currency) then
I'm done! The only time I'll print out a report and deal with it by hand
is if something seems wrong that I can't figure out from the reconcile
window or the register window. To do that, I go to the register
(account) in question, then select from the "Reports" menu the "Account
Report" and, if I need to, can print that.It's not perfect (as it
doesn't show the new/cleared/reconciled status), but it's usually enough
so that I can find the problem.

Double-entry accounting can be a bit strange if you come from the
Quicken or MS Money world. I found Financial Accounting: A Mercifully
Brief Introduction (Elmaleh)
http://www.amazon.com/Financial-Accounting-Mercifully-Brief-Introduction/dp/0976474409
to be a good book for my learning style and personal and small business
needs.Other people like
http://www.amazon.com/Accounting-Game-2E-Basic-Lemonade/dp/1402211864/
-- but I found it a little too simple for my needs.