Envelope budgeting with credit cards

Mike Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Fri Feb 5 10:39:27 EST 2010

Mister Ribble had this to say:
> I'm considering using gnucash for my budgeting. My budgeting is a little
> unique, but I imagine others have found a satisfactory solution -
> hopefully they'll chime in.
>
> My finances revolve around a single checking account and a single credit
> card. Each month I allocate a number of income dollars to various
> budgets, say 100$ for groceries, 200$ for gas, etc. These allocations
> roll over each month, so if I spend less than the allocated amount, the
> next month I'll have 200$ in gas + whatever was left from last month.
> This way I can build up funds for things like car repairs that happen
> randomly.

If you budget $200 for gas, and only spend $100, you could probably
transfer that unused $100 to a separate account (such as auto repairs).
That will make your tracking of actual expenditures easier, I think,
because the totals of the expense account "gasoline" would then be the
actual totals spent.