Envelope budgeting with credit cards

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Fri Feb 5 10:55:14 EST 2010

I am not an accountant, but I have worked in a financial office and so have some knowledge of accounting.

What I think would work is to use equity accounts.  Equity:Envelopes:Gas and Equity:Envelopes:Groceries.

Pay:
DB Assets:Bank                                $300
CR  Equity:Envelopes:Groceries                           $100

CR  Equity:Envelopes:Gas                                    $200

Buy some gas:
DB  Equity:Envelopes:Gas                  $30
CR  Liabilities:Credit Card                                     $30

Pay my credit card:
DB  Liabilities:Credit Card                 $30
CR  Assets:Bank                                                   $30

The envelope method works great, but because the balance in an envelope goes up and down, it is harder to answer questions like: how much did I spend on groceries last year - you would need to take finalBalance-initialBalance-12*monthlyBudget to get the answer.
 Phil
---------
I used to be a hypochondriac AND a kleptomaniac. So I took something for it.