Is this a blank log file?

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Mon Feb 8 09:52:49 EST 2010

On Monday 08 February 2010 14:22:12 trythis wrote:
> Each time I open gnucash I get the could not obtain lock error. I open it
> anyway, go to the file location, and run the log file that is from that day
> that is newer than the file.
>
> On account of this I save the file (sometimes twice) just before closing
> GC, but I still get the error message.
>
> Is this file empty?  Is GC just creating a log file to write new data in as
> soon as I save the file and not ignoring or not erasing the empty log file?
> (sorry if that isnt how things work, just a stab in the dark.)
>
> [log file start]
>
> mod	trans_guid	split_guid	time_now	date_entered	date_posted	acc_guid
> acc_name	num	description	notes	memo	action	reconciled	amount	value
> date_reconciled
> -----------------
>
> [log file end]
>
> Anyway, if it is blank I will know that I can ignore that message most of
> the time.

Hi,

You get a new .log (and .xac backup) file each time you hit "Save" IIRC.  I
thought that each log filename included a time/date stamp, but that may not
be the case on Windows systems.

Yes, the file you have posted above is an "empty" file - all that there is in
it are column headings, no useful data at all.

I should have thought that the reason why the locks aren't released would be
the more interesting question, though?

HTH,
Maf.