Keep search menu open

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Feb 8 10:11:46 EST 2010

On Feb 8, 2010, at 4:52 AM, Robert Heller wrote:

> At Sun, 7 Feb 2010 20:22:04 -0600 Graham Lane <grahamlane at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I don't expect to not have to type...
>> When I have one program open in one part of the desktop, (not maximized) It
>> would be nice to move the mouse directly to the already open GC search menu
>> that still sits in the Value drop down option, where I can just change the
>> previous search.
>> Call it a request if the option of Persistent Search is not available
>
> What you want is something called a 'tearoff' menu.

I think what he's actually looking for is a non-modal search dialog box that stays open until it's dismissed. I don't think that that would work very well with the present implementation, which opens a new register window or tab for each search. But a persistent single-register "find" dialog box that moves the selection to the first/next transaction in the register would. It could be implemented either as a dialog box (as in most word processors) or as an extra bar above the status bar (as in Firefox).

Regards,
John Ralls