GnuCash GUIDs vs. RFC 4122 UUIDs

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Tue Feb 9 09:47:41 EST 2010

Robert Fleming <fleminra at gmail.com> writes:
> I have my GnuCash data in a PostgreSQL database, using GnuCash 2.3.8.  I'm
> writing/using external programs (Python) to manipulate the data, including
> inserting new data.  It is cumbersome for that software to invoke
> gnucash-make-guids to make the new GUIDs.

GUIDs are just random data expressed in hex.  The GnuCash impl is the
hex encoding of the bytes resulting from a forward-chaining MD5 hash of
some random bytes obtained during runtime initialization. Any similar
mechanism to create a random number should be fine.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}