New Transaction field in the register

Jeff Kletsky gnucash at allycomm.com
Fri Feb 12 10:31:47 EST 2010

While I understand the desire of the original patch, I am concerned
about willy-nilly UI-based editing of anything in data structures.
systems with accountability for actions taken generally have a "when
entered" and "by who" field, that are immutable from the UI. Given that
the IRS here in the US required that the evidence of expense be made in
a timely fashion relative to the event,

  ==> The field that contains the update timestamp should, in my
opinion, *never* be editable in the UI.

If there is a compelling reason to have this blend of cash and accrual
accounting in a single transaction, then a /new/ field should be introduced.

(As I understand the original desire, it was to have a "spent on" and
"cleared on" date for each transaction -- in more conventional
accounting practice, the "spent on" would be reflected in an A/P posting
and the "cleared on" date would be reflected in a payment against the
A/P account.)