Gnucash 2.2.9

trythis grahamlane at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 18:35:34 EST 2010

Martin Preuss-3 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sonntag 14 Februar 2010, trythis wrote:
> [...]
>> fishing" for the account that you need.  If you abbreviate an account #
>>  like 59053896475 into 59053 in the code space, that's all you have type.
>>  You can do that for all accounts and keep a cheat sheet out to avoid
>> click
>>  fishing all together. Its too bad the ofx through aqbanking doesnt use
>>  these codes.
> [...]
>
> The mapping between these numbers in AqBanking and accounts in GnuCash is
> done
> by the application.
>
> So if you want to use other identifiers to be mapped to AqBanking's
> account
> numbers/ids AqBanking won't keep you from doing that.

I am not sure this is what I am referring to,
I am referring to connecting transactions with expense accounts I have set
up in Gnucash, like Expense:Food:coffee shops
 Starbucks is a frequently visited by my wife's debit card. When I download
bank transactions, I am frequently selecting the account:
Expense:Personal:Food:Dining out:coffee shops or whatever the transaction
fits into, but I have to click fish for the transactions in the "General
Import Transaction Matcher" Aqbanking drops OFX into. The only way I can
find to select an account is to double click on an item and fish through the
account lists. No keyboard entry is available as far as I can tell.

As Joey was asking about entering account numbers directly into the
register, I was thinking a user could simply use the handy "Code" line of
the "edit account" dialogue. Using a 4 digit code is much faster than
fishing through the account list especially if the account is 6 levels deep.
My comment was only to say that importing ofx through Aqbakning does not
allow for the Code feature at all.
In general importing everything into :Unspecified and hand keying, using
shortcut codes could be faster at least in the short run for non-repeating
transactions.  My wife travels a lot, so I can get numerous transactions
that it would serve no purpose in mapping into aqbanking, or QIF imports for
that matter. Entering a 3 digit code would be mucho faster short and long
term here.