Mutual Fund Sale Details

Mike C. subscribe307 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 15 11:48:42 EST 2010

I had time to generate some simple security buys and sales to better
understand how lots works and  know I understand what you mean by "mix
and match".  I wasn't able to find any clear documentation on using
lots, only the procedure for selling shares in the Tutorial and Concepts
Guide.  I see now that the correct procedure is to enter the sale in one
transaction in the register, not two, and then go to "view lots" and
Scrub Account.  Another transaction then shows up in the register with
the correct gain/loss but it is listed as "Orphans-USD"  that needs to
be changed to the correct income account (capital gains).  This seems to
work well and give the correct profit/loss although I read that there
may be a problem if there is a stock split.  This is a big help in
calculating the cost basis if dividends have been reinvested over
several years before the sale and is a valuable feature.
Gains are always calculated using FIFO cost basis which will be
different than the average cost basis provided by some mutual fund
companies but is the only choice for stock sales in the US.
Mike