Return of Capital

Paul Schwartz pmjs1115 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 18 12:09:01 EST 2010

Hope I;m not duplicating another reply, but I haven't seen one.

Assuming that all of the shares are held in the same account [gnucash], I credit the asset for the amount of the capital return. Since the return of capital applies equally to all of the shares [if they were all held during the subject income period], there would be a uniform reduction in basis for all shares. I do my computations outside of Gnucash and make the appropriate entries when shares are sold. Depending on your normal accounting practice, gains are calculated upon sale using FIFO, LIFO, or average cost.

HTH,

Paul