Copying files from Linux to MAC

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Feb 19 13:10:07 EST 2010

At Fri, 19 Feb 2010 11:47:24 -0500 Nigel Horne <njh at bandsman.co.uk> wrote:

> My business partner has a MAC.  If I zip Gnucash's files and email them
> to her she can read them, but they open read-only.  Any thoughts?

Permissions / ownership.  If she extracts the files and unzip preserves
the ownership and if the ownership UIDs don't match her operating UID,
the file won't be writable (unless they have world (other) write access
to begin with [NOT a good idea]).

You should be warned: unless you are carefully coordinating things, only
ONE of you should be writing to Gnucash's files.  Otherwise you are
going to lose transactions or otherwise cause problems.  It probably is
a *good* thing that your partner is only able to open the file read-only.

> -Nigel

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933