Problem locating Data File in Windows 7

trythis grahamlane at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 09:14:38 EST 2010

twodogron wrote:

> I'm not adverse or anti GnuCash in any way, it's just that this is the
> ONLY programme I've had this type of problems with under Windows 7....
> If you could just explain your suggestion about "Windows 7 Ownership
> Rights" in a little more detail, I'll try it...
> Thanks for your input,
> Ron..

!!Warning, I am not a certified Windows person, This is just my way of
fumbling through the mystery that is Microsoft security settings. You could
completely ruin your computer by listening to anything I say.!!!!

As I found when installing Windows 7, I have other disks that have old XP
installations from old computers that I just stuck in the case, via ATA
connectors. The data on those disks/systems was previously "owned" by the
"user" from the XP OS on those disks. If I wanted to modify anything on them
or sometimes even access them, it was not possible until I went through the
elaborate and mystical Microsoft dance that is the Security tab of a
folder's (or in this case whole drive's) right click, properties menu.
See the little check marks in "Permissions for Authenticated users",
associated with  each group or user name? If you don't, it may be that this
is happening to you as well.
When I installed a old XP drive into the windows 7 installation environment,
I got to experience attempting to make everything have a check mark for
Authenticated Users, System, Administrators, but I skipped Users, because I
never log in as one.
I am always an administrator when I log in.
Anyway, click Advanced> Click Owner> Click Edit> See who is the owner of
each of your partitions. One of mine was TrustedInstaller, whatever that
means.
Find the Name of the owner you would like to have as owner, I chose "me(user
name)" or Administrator might be better.>
Check Replace owner on subcontainers and objects.

Click Apply, and watch every file and folder get altered by windows. This
can take a long time. Sometimes when the ownership change gets to folders
with AppData and related it will say I do not have access, do I want to get
full control? I click yes.
These are folders that I couldn't open from within Windows 7.  This is where
I think something is wrong and may be causing you problems.

Then you can go back and make sure you can check Full Control by whatever
user type you prefer to log in as.

I have no idea if Gnucash could be fouling up because I have no idea how it
works with Windows in terms of file locations permissions needed, etc.