Problem locating Data File in Windows 7

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sun Feb 21 10:43:56 EST 2010

At Sun, 21 Feb 2010 06:14:38 -0800 (PST) trythis <grahamlane at gmail.com> wrote:

> twodogron wrote:
> >

> > I'm not adverse or anti GnuCash in any way, it's just that this is the
> > ONLY programme I've had this type of problems with under Windows 7....
> > If you could just explain your suggestion about "Windows 7 Ownership
> > Rights" in a little more detail, I'll try it...
> > Thanks for your input,
> > Ron..
> >

> !!Warning, I am not a certified Windows person, This is just my way of
> fumbling through the mystery that is Microsoft security settings. You could
> completely ruin your computer by listening to anything I say.!!!!

Yep.  See below.

> As I found when installing Windows 7, I have other disks that have old XP
> installations from old computers that I just stuck in the case, via ATA
> connectors. The data on those disks/systems was previously "owned" by the
> "user" from the XP OS on those disks. If I wanted to modify anything on them
> or sometimes even access them, it was not possible until I went through the
> elaborate and mystical Microsoft dance that is the Security tab of a
> folder's (or in this case whole drive's) right click, properties menu.
> See the little check marks in "Permissions for Authenticated users",
> associated with  each group or user name? If you don't, it may be that this
> is happening to you as well.
> When I installed a old XP drive into the windows 7 installation environment,
> I got to experience attempting to make everything have a check mark for
> Authenticated Users, System, Administrators, but I skipped Users, because I
> never log in as one.
> I am always an administrator when I log in.

Mistake #1: *never* log in as an administrator (or root or SYSTEM).  Don't
do it.  I know, MS-Windows is borked in that far too much MS-Windows
software needs to be run as administrator, because the of various stupid
legacy issues, mostly from way back when in the days of mess-dos and
win-over-mess-dos (Win 3.11 => Win9x => WinME).  You need to migrate as
much as possible away from 'just logging in as administrator' as the
'easy' way out.  It might be painful now, but it will be worse later.
Microsoft seems to be *trying* to do things right (after a decade+ of
doing things wrong).  It looks like MS-Windows 7 is trying its best to
wean people off the administrator tit.  This is probably a good thing,
although it will probably be *painful* at first.  Time to bite the
bullet, as it were.

> Anyway, click Advanced> Click Owner> Click Edit> See who is the owner of
> each of your partitions. One of mine was TrustedInstaller, whatever that
> means.
> Find the Name of the owner you would like to have as owner, I chose "me(user
> name)" or Administrator might be better.>

"me(user name)" is *always* best.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933