Newbie having problems

Norman norman.bearon at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 21 06:03:32 EST 2010

I have installed 2.2.9 on Windows 7 - new laptop.

I have been a previous Quicken user and have managed to transfer my
financial data over quite easily, I am very impressed except......

I came back to it the other day and I could not open my "accounts2010" file.
It just said "there was an error parsing the file".  I went back through a
series of ".xac" files and eventualy got back to one that would open.  I
carried on using that file, re-entered data, set up some new accounts etc,
deliberately saving regularly as I went (back onto the original
"accounts2010" file).  All seemed well and I shut down.

I have come back today and it will not open again - very frustrating

I have tracked it back to find an xac file that will open (one created
during the last session), followed by 2 log files, after that none of the
xac files will open - I have not read up enough yet to know whether I can
use these to recreate a session - advice would be much appreciated please.
Can I re-run one log file at a time, saving as a new file name as I go until
I find what has caused the error - can I interpret a log file to understand
exactly what was being done at that moment - should I be looking for
anything obvious in the log file?

Any idea what may be going on or what I should do?

I have also noticed a problem in the new account set-up - no doubt already
posted - in that the opening balance tab just seems to pass through
jibberish in the date field - I did the opening balances manually.

Many Thanks

Norman B