Problem locating Data File in Windows 7

Mike Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Sun Feb 21 17:00:46 EST 2010

twodogron had this to say:
> I do appreciate your suggestions and am willing to try anything but can you
> help me by explaining in a little more detail exactly how I give Windows 7
> "FULL OWNERSHIP RIGHTS" to all my files... I don't understand this as I am
> ALWAYS Administrator and I have never had any access problems with any files
> in 7 or XP. (ONLY GunCash is giving the Data File Access and now the PadLock
> problem). However, I'm all ears and willing to learn.....

"Ownership" is a completely separate concept from file permissions. It
is entirely possible to be an administrator, and still not have
ownership of a file/folder.

<http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Understanding-Windows-NTFS-Permissions.html>
<http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/Understanding_Windows_Server_2008_File_and_Folder_Ownership_and_Permissions>

> C:\ was formatted and Windows 7 clean installed all as per Microsoft
> instructions..
> D:\ has always held my install .exe files and Backups (All of my programs
> stored on D:\ have been re-installed under Windows 7 to D:\Program
> Files\....., that's FULLY CUSTOM REINSTALLED and NOT transferred in
> anyway....)
> P:\ holds all of my Photos and Windows 7 makes a superb job of ADOPTING them
> without any access or OWNERSHIP problems..

That's why you need to take ownership. The ownership attribute is set to
the old XP user. But you are not running XP; you are running Win7. The
internal representation of your login is different - even if you use the
same name, they are *not* internally the same.

Take ownership of the folder in question, assigning it to the account
you log in with; give it full access permissions; and then you should be
able to get on with working with GnuCash.