export/import issue

allan allane at spinn.net
Sat Jan 2 12:34:19 EST 2010

Hi All,

I am new to GnuCash.
I'm pretty impressed with its capabilities but have run into a problem.
I'm working on closing the calendar year 2009 and would like to make an
export/import into a new file for 2010.
I wish to retain all accounts and final balances from the source (2009).
The dialog box associated with the menu selection "Export Chart of
Accounts" states:
   "You can export the Chart of Accounts to a QSF XML file that can be
imported into another GnuCash file or used in other programs.
   The Chart of Accounts includes the balance for each account, on the
date specified. Note that future dates are not supported.
   Select the date to use and click Export to choose the filename and
location."
This sounds ideal - except I have run into 2 problems.
1. When the mouse is moved over the above dialog box, GnuCash
terminates with file locks set.
2. There is no method I have found to import a "QSF" file.
I found a workaround for prob 1 - don't use mouse, just keyboard and
tab key.
For number 2, I am at a loss.
Am I missing something?

Thanks for any assistance.