export/import issue

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sat Jan 2 15:27:21 EST 2010

> I'm working on closing the calendar year 2009 and would like to make
> an  export/import into a new file for 2010.

Why? You can just continue with the existing books. It's not going to
hurt that the previous year's transactions are visible if you wish to
look at them. Income and Expense accounts (temporary accounts meaningful
only during the accounting period) get zeroed out by a "close the books"

> I wish to retain all accounts and final balances from the source (2009).

Then do that. I'll explain. Assume that you have a directory containing
files that are your books, exported reports, even the backups as of a
certain date. If you copy that entire directory somewhere, then anytime
in the future you can use GnuCash to open it. This is not unrelated to
the question of making backups (and restoring form backups). I would
think that you might want several copies of your data as of a completed
year end (besides kept handy, maybe one burned to medium and in your
safe deposit box, etc.)

You want to retain all account final balances? (income and expense) then
you burn this backup before you "close the books".

Michael