Export/Import problems.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 4 13:19:20 EST 2010

allan <allane at spinn.net> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I am new to GnuCash.
> I'm pretty impressed with its capabilities but have run into a problem.
> I'm working on closing the calendar year 2009 and would like to make an
> export/import into a new file for 2010.
> I wish to retain all accounts and final balances from the source (2009).
> The dialog box associated with the menu selection "Export Chart of
> Accounts" states:
>    "You can export the Chart of Accounts to a QSF XML file that can be
> imported into another GnuCash file or used in other programs.
>    The Chart of Accounts includes the balance for each account, on the
> date specified. Note that future dates are not supported.
>    Select the date to use and click Export to choose the filename and
> location."
> This sounds ideal - except I have run into 2 problems.
> 1. When the mouse is moved over the above dialog box, GnuCash
> terminates with file locks set.
> 2. There is no method I have found to import a "QSF" file.
> I found a workaround for prob 1 - don't use mouse, just keyboard and
> tab key.
> For number 2, I am at a loss.
> Am I missing something?

Nope, QSF is effectively dead; the QSF importer never worked so it was
removed.  And as you noticed, even QSF Export is buggy.

There's no way to start from scratch WITH account balances.  You can
start over with an EMPTY CoA and then manually reset the opening balance
of all your Asset and Liability accounts.  Or you can just keep on going
with the same data file (which is what most people do).  The reports
will happily tell you your year-to-date numbers.

Note that if you DO want to go this alternate route it's File ->
Export -> Export Accounts    and then File -> Open