Managing U.S. Flexible Spending Accounts

Thomas Scofield scofield at calvin.edu
Mon Jan 4 14:51:30 EST 2010

I am a new user of GnuCash, and someone who has not had an accounting
course of any kind.  (On the other hand, I am a mathematician, and the
basics of double-entry accounting seem fairly intuitive if I can ever
get the principle behind the labels "credit" and "debit".)  I have
searched the archives for advice about setting up flexible spending
accounts, and have only come across the post by John R. Carter on Jan.
5, 2009.  It is with that post in mind I am posing my question.

I have created accounts
   Liabilities:FSA
   Equity:FSA
after which I entered a transaction in Liabilities:FSA placing my
year's allotment in the "Increase" column.  (The transfer account is
Equity:FSA, where now the same amount appears in the "Decrease" column.)

I am now at the point of entering a paycheck.  I placed the full
amount in the "Income" column of a an "Income:Salary" transaction, and
split the transfer account.  It is split many ways, as I am sending
some to several different bank accounts, some to a "Expenses:social
security" account, some to "Expenses:medicare", etc.  One of the
accounts in the transfer split is "Expenses:FLEX".  Now, if I follow
the advice of Mr. Carter, an entry in "Expenses:FLEX" would have its
"double" appear in "Equity:FSA", decreasing the amount there from the
initial FLEX allotment.  That makes sense to me, but it also makes
sense that I should have it mirror what came out of my paycheck, and
you (of course) cannot do both.  Any suggestions as to a sensible
approach?

Thomas L. Scofield